X-Files 2 Movie is returning: July 25, 2008!! 'I Want To Believe' You can't handle the truth...
Paranormal, supranormal, ab-normal....
What is n-o-r-m-a-l these days? In America?
Apparently according to the data in the latest report in Forbes magazine in Feb 2007 (so the data is probably worse now), America ranks 9th for being most 'obese'. They state that 74.1 % of Americans over the age of 15 years old are overweight.
Studies are now pouring in showing obesity and carrying extra weight are causing early heart dysfunction in children, teenagers, young adults and adults. What is causing this metabolic derangement? High carbohydrate intake provokes hyperinsulinemia (elevated insulin levels). The more evident the features of metabolic syndrome, the more cardiac structure changes and abnormalities are being seen in the general population. This report from Poland (unfortunately only the abstract is in English) demonstrated the value of changing nutritional factors which not only improved obesity in children age 7-15 but also normalized lipoproteins: by reducing 'sugar, sweets, cereal foodstuffs and fat' (i.e., high glycemic c-a-r-b-o-h-y-d-r-a-t-e-s).
- van Putte-Katier N, et al. Early Cardiac Abnormalities in Obese Children: Importance of Obesity Per Se Versus Associated Cardiovascular Risk Factors. Pediatr Res. 2008 Mar 26. PMID: 18391840
- Sharpe JA, et al. Impact of obesity on diastolic function in subjects less than or = 16 years of age. Am J Cardiol. 2006 Sep 1;98(5):691-3. PMID: 16923463
- Di Salvo G, et al. Abnormal myocardial deformation properties in obese, non-hypertensive children: an ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, standard echocardiographic, and strain rate imaging study.Eur Heart J. 2006 Nov;27(22):2689-95. PMID: 16905554
- Kinik ST, Varan B, Yildirim SV, Tokel K. The effect of obesity on echocardiographic and metabolic parameters in childhood. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Aug;19(8):1007-14. PMID: 16995586
- Peterson LR, et al. Alterations in left ventricular structure and function in young healthy obese women: assessment by echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004 Apr 21;43(8):1399-404. PMID: 15093874
- Di Bello V, et al. Obesity cardiomyopathy: is it a reality? An ultrasonic tissue characterization study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006 Aug;19(8):1063-71. PMID: 16880104
- Tumuklu MM, et al. Effect of obesity on left ventricular structure and myocardial systolic function: assessment by tissue Doppler imaging and strain/strain rate imaging. Echocardiography. 2007 Sep;24(8):802-9. PMID: 17767529
- Grandi AM, et al. Obesity and left ventricular diastolic function: noninvasive study in normotensives and newly diagnosed never-treated hypertensives. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Aug;24(8):954-8. PMID: 10951532
- Goland S, et al. Cardiac abnormalities as a new manifestation of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: echocardiographic and tissue Doppler imaging assessment. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2006 Nov-Dec;40(10):949-55. PMID: 17063117