Personally... I like beach bodies.
Bikinis... body boarding... surf sun s*x [and...corona + shots] nothing beats Cali...
Glistening abs, tricps biceps, sun toned warm tanned oily skin. Shimmering pheromones.
Summers below the 37th latitude are heightened by muscles, movement and HORMESIS.
What dominates our metabolism? An intricate network of evolutionary metabolic networks that is heavily conserved from the lowliest nematode to the most highly evolved cognitively-appealing, apex predators...
Thanks LePine for inspiration and links.
'Exercise intensity and Burning Fat: Youve Gotta Move It To Lose It'
This worked for me and it will work for you if you are trying to lose body fat.
It has worked also for the same 5 lbs of body fat I've lost a dozen times in the last 2 yrs secondary to frustrating synthetic (levonorgestrel, a contraceptive endocrine disruptor) and subsequent hormone dysreguation.
Prior animal pharm: 50 # Wt Loss
Thomas Fahey EdD from Fitness Rx For Men is one of my favorite health and fitness gurus and writers. With 'Rx' in the title can one go wrong? ...speaking from a legal drug dealer point of view?
A recent article from Nov 2009 issue featuring both Dara Torres 'Woman Athlete of the Year' and SUPERBOY Oly decathlete (hybrid Asian and African American) Bryan Clay has the article entitled 'EXERCISE INTENSITY AND BURNING FAT: YOU'VE GOTTA MOVE IT TO LOSE IT'.
Love the title. Love the contents. Prof Fahey is an alright guy.
Key: 45 to 90 min 4X per Week Chronic Cardio 60-85% MAX HEARTRATE
Fahey writes, 'Elegant studies by Dr. George Brooks at the University of California, Berkeley showed that the body uses mainly fats for fuel at rest and low exercise intensities. At 65 percent of maximum effort, the body switches abruptly to carbohydrates and uses much LESS FAT [my emphasis]. The rate of fat breakdown in fat cells aslo decreases with increasing exercise intensity. The best method for losing weight through exercise looks like a no-brainer. Train at low exercise intensity because you'll use fat as FUEL....' Our mitochondria and muscles like the heart are adapted and naturally selected to run on FATTY ACIDS as the optimal fuel for endurance and day-to-day activities.
Caveat: ALSO Key -- Exercise INTENSELY in addition to Cardio
Fahey also adds the essential KEY of ripping and shredding body fat is 'The real answer to the question of how to lose fat through exercise is not so obvious. True, you use more fat as fuel when you exercise moderately. But [***hint***] you lose more body fat when you exercise more intensely during a 24-hour period because you use more fat for feul and INCREASE METABOLISM (increase calorie use) more after exercise. Also, you burn more calories during the exercise itself. The total daily energy use is more important for fat loss than the kinds of fuels used during exercise... As stated, intense exercise increases fat use after the exercise is OVER. You use th readily-available carbs during intense exercise, then SWITCH to fats during RECOVERY. The body uses more fats as fuel after an INTENSE workout than after an easy one. Intense exercise increases post-exercise mtabolisms more than light exercise. Run for an hour at 70-80% maximum effort and you get an extra post-exercise calorie-burning bonus...'
6 Pointers: 'Losing Body Fat with High-Intensity Exercise'
- 'Do 60-90 minutes of cardio at 60-85% percent of maximum effort, three to five days per week... doesn't sound like a lot, but you will lose fat and not muscle...
- Include interval training in your workout... Interval training includes intense running (sprinting) interrupted by periods of rest orlight exercise... exercise intensely for ONE MINUTE at near-maximum intensity, then repat six to 20 times (depending on your fitness level).... You will notice rapid increases in fitness and fat loss with this kind of training. [TRUE. Sprints in the pool, bike or asphalt for triathlon training has give me the best and most rapid gains and personal fat loss and maintenance]
- Train with weights at least TWO DAYS PER WEEK. Weight training increases muscle mass [and testosterone + fountain-of-youth-growth-hormone-BURSTS] that will give you a higher metabolic rate. More muscle mass means you burn more calories during the day. Also, you'll look lean and fit if you have more muscle. TRAIN HARD!
Sample Schedule (2 days rest, 2 days wts, 2 days short cardio+intervals, 1 day long cardio)
Mon -- Long Cardio (track or treadmill or cycling or elliptical, etc) 60-90 min @60-85% of max
Tue -- Weight training (1-3 sets of 10 resp for 8-10 exercises, emphasizing major muscle groups)
Wed -- Interval training (six 200-meter sprints at 90% of max effort resting 3 min betw sprints or 10 one-minute sprints on an elliptical with one minute rest betw intervals) + Short-Cardio (45 min @60-85% max)
Thur--REST REST REST
Fri -- Weight training (ditto)
Sat -- Interval training (ditto) + Short-Cardio (ditto 45 min)
Sun -- REST REST REST
UR...A Beautiful MONSTER
Do you fly ur freak flag high? I don't mind.
Join the freak nation.
Be PROUD for being part of the minority rather than the epidemic, growing obese majority.
1. FitnessRxformen.com; Vol 7; Number 6; pp 46-49.
2. The effects of intermittent liquid meal feeding on selected hormones and substrates during intense weight training.
Fahey TD, Hoffman K, Colvin W, Lauten G.
Int J Sport Nutr. 1993 Mar;3(1):67-75
3. The effects of sodium bicarbonate and pyridoxine-alpha-ketoglutarate on short-term maximal exercise capacity.
Linderman J, Kirk L, Musselman J, Dolinar B, Fahey TD.
J Sports Sci. 1992 Jun;10(3):243-53.
4. Serum testosterone, body composition, and strength of young adults.
Fahey TD, Rolph R, Moungmee P, Nagel J, Mortara S.
Med Sci Sports. 1976 Spring;8(1):31-4.
5. Brooks GA, Fahey T, and Baldwin K. Exercise Physiology: Human Bioenergetics and its Applications. New York: McGraw Hill, 2004 (4th edition).